My youngest, a high school freshman, goes through these phases when it comes to her lunch. My oldest was easy, same thing every day. it was always a PBJ on wheat bread. Every.Single.Day. Not the same with Nan as she has an aversion to sandwiches. She needs a nutritious lunch as she has weightlifting later in the afternoon. I did the Pinterest thing, and found a few things she was willing to try, but I tweaked one of the recipes I found and it’s become a major hit .
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (crunchy or creamy, your choice)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 3/4 cup quick oats
- 2 small scoops protein powder (I used a vanilla pea protein, but you can use whatever you want, or omit altogether)
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir together.
- Place wax or parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Roll the mixture into 1 inch balls and place on parchment paper.
- Freeze about 2-3 hours or until set.
- Keep in refrigerator.
I love that they make about 24 and I pop 5 or 6 into her lunch. Nan usually ends up eating 4, and her friends love eating them too! I love that I don’t have to feel guilty about her lunch and that when I open her lunch box at the end of the day they are all gone. I’m working on tweaking this recipe again and working with almond butter as well. They also make a great quick breakfast. Try it out!