One of the best things about growing herbs either indoors or outdoors, is having them at the ready. I used to cook with the dried herbs I found in grocery stores. I thought it was the same thing, yeah….it’s not.
My favorite thing to eat in the summer is Caprese Salad, it just screams summer and deliciousness. I was looking for some new easy, but flavorful recipes to make for dinner. Our family loves baked chicken, and I love Caprese salad so I decided to combine the two and the results were phenomenal. Seriously, I had no idea how it would turn out. Every single person in our home loved it and begged for more (even my 17 y/o who is QUITE the picky eater). You can serve it with a side of roasted veggies or a nice side salad and it’s perfect for a busy evening, or even a nice Sunday dinner! Give it a try and let me know what you think about it!
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1 package mozzarella pearls
- 1 cup washed and trimmed (stems off) fresh basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Butterfly each chicken breast and then place between two sheets of wax paper. Pound thinly (I use a wooden rolling pin to pound the chicken).
- Lay each thinned breast on the cookie sheet.
- Layer each breast with basil leaves, sliced romas, and mozzarella pearls.
- Fold each piece of chicken in half (think hamburger fold).
- Sprinkle garlic powder, salt, and pepper on outside of chicken breast.
- Cook at 375 for 30 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving.