What herbs should I grow? A guide to common herbs that are easy to raise.

When planning an herb garden there are many choices: an indoor herb garden in containers, outdoors in containers, or in a garden or raised bed. It all depends on what you have available and what works best for you.

The most important question is, “What should I grow?”. The answer is, “Anything you want to, but make sure you’ll use it”.  Here are a few herbs that are easy to grow and are commonly used in the kitchen.

Basil

Chives

Oregano

Cilantro

Rosemary

Thyme

You can start all of these plants from seeds, but it can be difficult if you don’t have heat lamps and an indoor set up. The easiest thing to do is to buy seedlings, which you can do from most garden centers. In fact, I saw that Lowe’s, Atwoods, and Wal-Mart had all of these available while I was out shopping for other things today.

All of these herbs are quite hardy, and you will find they need little care. No fertilizer is needed as long as you harvest from your plant often. An inch of water will do per week, and some mulch around the base will help the plant retain moisture (if planted outside) . One of the biggest mistakes people make with herbs is letting it get dry, which quickly stuns the plant.

All of the herbs above couldn’t be anymore perfect for planting in pots, indoors or out. Try to put one plant per 12 inch pot as you will find that the seedling can use all of the space. Be sure to keep your potted basil in a warm spot where it gets plenty of sun. If you need to, move the pot around as the sun shifts in order for it to get a solid 6 hours of warmth.

If you are new to herb gardening, like I said in the previous post, I would just stick to picking 3 herbs to start with and then add later, if you see some success. It is also important to not get too crazy with the planting. If you are not planning on preserving (through drying or freezing) or using your herbs as soon as harvested, then you really want to go small. These babies can get big and overwhelming to a new herb gardener quickly.

As with anything, moderation is key. My favorite part is the smell of these herbs. There is just something about them and how they immediately make me feel. Do you have any tips to share? Let me know in the comments, or over on our group Facebook Page.

19 thoughts on “What herbs should I grow? A guide to common herbs that are easy to raise.

1. Joyce Brandon says:

Most of the common herbs are perennial, so after they’re first planted they can come back year after year if they’re properly cared for. For those just starting an herb garden, talk with neighbors about which herbs have done well in your area. It will save money and time each spring if you have a good idea of which herbs are hearty locally & which ones you may need to purchase annually, or grow in containers.

2. Angelina says:

I love basil and I grow it every year but mine never gets big, I dream of making pesto but never have enough. What can I do to improve that?

• mrachellhough@gmail.com says:

If you are planting outside then you it’s probably a soil situation. You might need to add something such as coffee grounds or epsom salts. If it is inside, they don’t get as large as an outdoor plant because of the amount of unfiltered sunlight.

3. Jess says:

I pretty sure you just convinced me to try growing herbs again. I am usually pretty good with basil, but I really want to try cilantro this year, any tips?

• mrachellhough@gmail.com says:

Yay Jess! My biggest tips regarding cilantro are:

Don’t harvest more than one-third of the plants at once or you may risk weakening the plant.

When you do harvest, cut it near the bottom of the plant even if you aren’t using the entire stem.

4. Kimberly @ Berly's Kitchen says:

These are some of my favorite herbs, especially basil. I spend a small fortune on basil at the store every week. Bookmarking this, so I can come back later. Would love to start growing my own.

5. Lisa says:

This is super helpful! I especially tip of 1 inch of water per week! I’m going to start a window herb garden so I’ll be using your tips!

• mrachellhough@gmail.com says:

That sounds great! Chives will go for quite awhile around here and I often sub them in for green onions.

6. Stacey says:

Thanks for the tips! I tried growing herbs indoors and outdoors last year and neither took. I don’t think I watered enough so they must have stopped growing before they even had a chance. I’m going to try again and I’m going to use mulch this time. I’ll let you know how it goes!

7. Rhonda says:

Oh, oh, oh!! I love that my oregano needs such little help. It borders my flower garden, looks great, and smells wonderful. I’ve had a little trouble with cilantro and rosemary, but I think I need to keep them in small containers to protect them a bit better. I remember being sent to my mom’s garden to fetch herbs for her; I like my boys to be able to do the same.

• mrachellhough@gmail.com says:

As old as my girls are they still love getting the fresh herbs too Rhonda! Rosemary can be tricky at first but then it will explode!

Comments are closed.